Windows 7 Mail
Windows 7 does not ship with a pre-packaged email client.
Optus customers upgrading to or installing Windows 7 will need to install their own email client to access email, newsletters and account notifications.
Optus strongly recommends backing up all files including email, favourites and address book contacts before upgrading any system.
Alternatively, customers can continue to access their OptusNet email address via webmail at webmail.optuszoo.com.au
Windows Vista Mail
Vista includes an upgraded mail client as part of its operating system, simply called Windows Mail. If you're using an older version of Outlook to manage your e-mail, Windows Mail might be worth considering as a replacement. Here's how to get it up and running.
Step 1 of 9
- Click the Windows Start menu and Select Windows Mail
Step 2 of 9
- In the Tools menu, select Accounts
Step 3 of 9
- In the Internet Accounts window, select Add
Step 4 of 9
- From the Select Account Type window, highlight E-mail Account. Click Next to continue
Step 5 of 9
- Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the from field when sending emails. Click Next to continue.
Step 6 of 9
- Enter your complete e-mail address into the "Email Address" field in lower case. For example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click the Next button
Step 7 of 9
- Ensure Incoming e-mail server type is set to POP3. In the incoming and outgoing server addresses, enter mail.optusnet.com.au. Do not tick the "Outgoing server requires authentication". Click Next to continue
Step 8 of 9
- Ensure that your Username is in the box titled E-mail username
- If you want the program to remember your password, enter the password then tick "Remember password". If you choose not to remember the password you will be prompted to type it in each time you attempt to retrieve new mail.
Step 9 of 9
- Click finish to complete the setup of your Windows Mail account. Windows Mail will automatically check for new mail at this stage and is now ready for use.
- Try sending an email message to your own email address by creating a new email and entering your OptusNet email address into the 'To' field. After sending this email, click the send/recv button. If the email appears in the inbox it's working fine.
Still having problems?
Check out our email FAQ's for answers to common questions and problems or please contact Customer Service on 133 937, for Small Business enquiries please contact 133 343.